Tuesday, November 8, 2005

Animal acts

Now I don't know about you but whenever I think of Denmark I think of legal prostitution and royal babies (in that order). I also know that they're tall, open minded, cultured and fond of The Little Mermaid. So you can imagine my surprise when I found an entry called "Something Rotten in Denmark" in a blog called Ad Busters.

Essentially the story is that Denmark introduced some anti-terrorism laws post September 11 and the first and only time they used these laws was to convict a bunch of Greenpeace activists who went into a public building, locked the doors, unfurled a banner and then surrendered peacefully to police.

When I read this I had to take another look at the front page of the blog to make sure I wasn't reading The Onion or The Chaser. But no, the story about these long haired, vegetable loving "terrorists" was for real. And, rather chillingly, when they challenged the use of the new law to punish them "the judge found no basis in the legislation as written for applying the regulation solely in connection with terror activities". (Which, in English, means that the judge didn't see anything in the legislation saying they couldn't use it, so they did).

And what crime were these terrible people attempting to commit? To let people know that Danish pigs are being fed genetically engineered soy which (according to the activists) 98% of Danish people would want to know if given the opportunity.

Hang the bastards, I say. Any more of that sort of rubbish and people might start suspecting they're in Animal Farm.

(Thanks to Leigh Blackall for the link to Ad Busters and Heather for photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment